Tuesday 26 March 2013

Fast Tracked to Obesity?

I was on the train home from university yesterday and I was reading the paper (I know, I'm pretty sophisticated aren't I?) when I read an article about a bomb proof watch. This got me thinking, who needs a bomb proof watch?? I know that if I was caught in an explosion the last thing on my mind would be if my watch worked or not. Bomb proofing isn't the only thing that watches have that I believe aren't really needed,  another example is how far underwater they can go. This seems to be a key factor for watches, you can go 500 meters, 600 meters, 700 meters underwater, honestly if I'm any more than 3 meters underwater, I'm probably drowning and I'm not going to care if my watch has stopped working.
It seems our society is reaching a point where we have covered all the necessary requirements for our everyday needs and are now forced to thing of ridiculous attachments for everything. And if it's not the accessories it's the products themselves. For example the "revolutionary" Google Glasses, I personally can't decide if they will be a good thing or lead us to be like the people from Wall-e (for those of you who haven't seen this movie, Google it). Is this what our society is doomed for? Are we on an uncontrollable journey of laziness and fast foods that will inevitably land us on the fast track to a culture of obesity and heart attacks?
We can't know for sure, but what we can do is try and change our ways before it's to late. Teach the younger generation that going outside is a good thing, send the kids to the park to kick a ball rather than sit them in front of the T.V. (the T.V is not a suitable babysitter). If you're out and want a quick bite to eat, get sushi or a salad or a sandwich from a bakery rather than MacDonalds or KFC or Take-away pizza.
I don't want this to come across as a rant, but more of a raise awareness for a healthy future! If you are gaining weight and don't know why, look at your food choices and how much you exercise, it's amazing the results you can see by a slight change of diet (no I'm not saying you can eat whatever you want because you had a diet coke) I'm also not saying you need to starve yourself, quiet the opposite! have 3 good healthy meals a day and watch the changes! It's up to us to teach the future generation how to act, and remember the best way to teach someone something is to show them how to do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment